Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Why is a degree in education valuable?

Maybe I'm jaded, but I think my MA in History makes me better qualified to teach History than some bozo who took "Grade Books and Bulletin Boards 101" while I was writing long papers and reading thousands of pages of History, but under the laws of virtually every State in the Union he has 100 job opportunities to my 1. Not that I couldn't go back and take gradebooks and bulletin boards, just that it seems like anyone with common sense could handle those tasks without a Degree, while a thorough understanding the actual content to be taught should have some sort of bearing, shouldn't it?



Why is a degree in education valuable?

I don't know how it is in your country, but over here, it depends on what kind of institution you intend to teach in - in any case, you're smack in between.



Over here, a teaching qualification is required to teach below tertiary level. Those who want to teach at university level have to be PhDs, unless they're part-time tutors.



Ultimately, it may not just be the depth of your knowledge on the subject, but your ability to convey the knowledge. I'm sure we've all grown up with plenty of experience of what it's like to have teachers who just don't know how to teach even though they're smart, knowledgeable people themselves.



I see it like studying basic economics - when you're studying it, you feel stupid because it's so common-sensical, but if you didn't study it, arranging thoughts and logic in that manner might not have occurred to you. That's what training does - it helps you re-arrange your knowledge so you can use it effectively for your specific purpose.



Why is a degree in education valuable?

Well, I have both--an M.A. in my subject matter and an M.A.T. (mostly because I had to have the teaching degree or they would not let me teach). The education program I went through was lousy. I was no more qualified to teach on the day I walked out of there than the day I walked in. My M.A. program, on the other hand, was challenging. I learned so much. So I guess I agree with you--I don't see much value in the education degree. It's just another of life's hoops you get to jump through if you want something badly enough. I guess the idea is that you'll learn skills for managing behavior, teaching methods, etc. I got none of that though.



Why is a degree in education valuable?

I agree and can understand you. Life is unfair like that. Salary, social status, and job opportunities in our society are not directly proportional to how much "real substance" we have. So I've learnt, instead of fighting the system, just play along. For you that means go get a certificate or a degree on "Grade Books and Bulletin Boards 101."



Why is a degree in education valuable?

Teaching is not an either / or proposition between subject matter and technique, it is both. Teachers on ALL levels, primary through college need to be able to TEACH their subject matter, not just know it, although knowing it is as important. You can have all the knowledge in the world but if you do not know how to make it accessible and meaningful to the students in front of you , you are useless. You are not being paid to spout off all your knowledge you are being paid to teach it to those who do not know it or understand it. To do that its not a matter of just telling people things or assigning readings, if just standing in front of a class talking worked, a robot could do your job. So you need to learn how to interact, movivate and teach. It is great that you love your subject and are well versed in it. You may be capable of teaching without those education courses, some people are, but credits in those courses are the states proof that you can teach. By the way for every grade book and bulletin board course that bozo was also taking ed psych, instruction and curriculum, history of ed, special education in the regular classroom, instruction and curriculum courses and practicum courses that PROVED he can teach - its why he has 99 more chances than you being taken at your word. We BOZOs who took the education courses also took major courses. All of our courses, major and in ed required reading and papers. We also worked as student teachers for FREE while paying tuition to the college.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
mortgage loan